Monday, October 20, 2008

Band of the Week: Fanfarlo


[October 20-27]
Fanfarlo
Sounds Like: Indie-Pop
Drinking Buddies:
Noah and the Whale, Tap Tap, Brown Recluse Sings
Synopsis: Carbonated quirk. Please shake contents for best effect.
Makes You Want To...: Dance ridiculously; Sing; Make a mixtape.
[Myspace]





One week, one band. You know the drill.
This week, the featured artist is Fanfarlo


When you're feeling up - happy - celebratory - you just want to... well... celebrate. You want to dance, you want to sing, and you want to prove to everyone who may see you, as awkward as that could potentially be, just how happy you really are. "Hey, world! That's right, me! The lunatic who's hollerin'! I am happy. I am happy and I know it, dammit. I'm clapping my hands!" Or something to that effect.

But when you're sad - when we get sad - logic may tend to go out the window. Some of us cry our little eyes out. Some of us write in countless journals/blogs, spilling our emotions into little symbols, which form alphabets, which for words, which form languages. And some of us turn off all the light, and lay in bed for hours listening to The Cure (that's when it's a very sad day. Preferably also rainy). I am confronted with such a scenario. With school-related stress mounting, stress from transferring mounting, life and other objects cursing me on a regular basis, and just my general unhappiness encroaching, I was in a bad mood.

Sad is it may be, there must be some sort of cure. There must be an outlet. Music has been the outlet for innumerable poets, and certainly the ample amount of music listeners who share a similar fate. I remember the days long past (that would be high school, for those too young - it'll make sense in 2-4 years) when I would become a recluse, entering the hovel of my room, and passing the day with Swiss Army Romance, "You're So Last Summer," and Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge (I did sink that low, yes), not to mention a healthy dose of snack foods.

But lately, I've been trying a new theory, as opposed to begging to the broken hearted Daphne Loves Derby, or something of the like. Instead, I've taken the opposite approach: when I'm feeling down, listen to cheery music, and force myself out of my haze. Indie-pop has been a wonderful outlet, and since there's no lack in the genre, you have plenty to choose from. So, from one sad-now-cheered-up heart to thou who may be in need, or you average individual who's here for a neat new band, may I introduce, Fanfarlo.

I did say Fanfarlo. I am talking about the sextet ensemble from London. I am talking about the bubbly band, and the makers of eclectic, quirky songs. Fanfarlo is all about laying down some lovely tunes with their diverse musical line-up. Featuring everything from banjos, to saws, to accordions, and mandolins, the combination brings an even more wonderful sound to the musical table. Their songs are chipper and lively, and bring out the grand talents of the smiling faces and novel spirits in the band.

As it turns out, my weekend ended on a happy note. We'll blame it on the music, shall we? Fanfarlo has been playing music since 2006, and in the passing of the years, has slowly built up their collection of music through a healthy amount of singles. If you wander over to their website, you can snag some of these nifty singles for your anxious hands and eager ears. Their mixture of instruments of all shapes and sizes, their novel poetry, and their honest intrigue will be drawing you in like a magnet if you give them the opportunity. And you will not be disappointed.

Presently, Fanfarlo is packing their bags, for they are prepped and excited for their trip to North America, where they have a show lined up in New York City. But if you can't catch them while they're stateside, don't fret! They have a nifty live performance via The Black Cab Sessions! They have plenty of music videos as well, all of which can be found on their ever ubiquitous Myspace. Listen in - don't miss out - turn those frowns upside down, and of course, have a great week, reader.


No comments: