Friday, July 31, 2009

Who The Hell Is Ponytail?


You can probably quote me as saying it, at least once or twice. Something along the lines of "this band is making a lot of noise." 'Tis an odd phrase, to be true. What I normally mean by that is generally something positive. Yeah, this little collection is making some noise - it's good noise - noise that should be registering in your auditory canals; that's the general meaning of that phrase.

I try to reserve the phrase. I don't use noise in that context very often. Kind of in the way some people say they don't love someone; it's not because they don't love them, simply that they want the term love to retain some sense of importance - some sense of not just anyone deserves this term's use. That's my thoughts on noise. Austin makes a lot of great noise. So does Montréal and Chicago. There's a lot of great noise coming out of Japan. Bam Bam is making some great noise. Mount Righteous, Fanfarlo, and Explosions have some wonderful noise to make. Important places, important people, to me anyway, or folks who are quickly making a mark on the scene. The term is reserved to those special individuals. That's just how I roll.

That being said: Ponytail is making some serious noise.


So who the fuck is Ponytail? Well, that'll remain a mystery for now. But they're definitely making the world aware of their presence; I use that term "noise" very conceptually and literally, in this case. They make a LOT of noise. Loud, wild, violent, mathematical, artistic noise. It's ridic, kids. I'll let you do your own personal research on Ponytail until you hear the official word on what Voilà! has to say. But if you're even slightly intrigued, might I suggest you wander over to their Myspace or their acoustic feature on Daytrotter? Until later.



No comments: