Thursday, March 13, 2008

A Week of SXSW 2008: Bam Bam


[March 13]
Bam Bam
Sounds Like: Indie-Pop / Mexpop
Drinking Buddies: The Pillows, Los Campesinos!, Broken Social Scene
Synopsis: The Pillows of Mexico.
Appearances at SXSW:
  • Flamingo Cantina (8:00 PM, March 13)
[Myspace]




All this week, Voilà! is covering South By Southwest!
Day two, and it's time for the second Voilà! featurette.
Today, the featured SXSW artist is Bam Bam.



Some people, when tasking themselves with the same sort of task I have put upon myselves (searching through literally hundreds of bands, looking for the cream of the crop) will make it easier on themselves. They would look down the list, pick the most interesting name, and feature that band. Not me - I listened to literally hundreds of those bands. I was looking for music that caught my musical pallete, then I sifted through this to find those with an advanced sound.

This is how I happened upon Bam Bam, a band hailing from Monterrey, Mexico. These guys play a layered, progressive, lively, and wild indie-pop which is infinitely reminicent (to me, anyway) of the J-rock band, The Pillows. Whether it's rock from Japan or pop from Mexico, they sound is universal - and by universal I mean astounding! I kid not when I say that Bam Bam is one of the best new bands I have heard in the past two years. With such a diverse, energetic sound, there is no way I'm going to stop listening to these guys.

And boy, is Bam Bam ever a new band! Forming only a year ago, they are quickly budding into a successful band with explosive musical potential. They official have one brand new, hot off the presses, debut LP, courtesy of Nene Records. You can download the brand new album right here. Now that the first album is under their belt, Bam Bam is ready and waiting to blow speakers and rock the hell out of South By Southwest.


For those on the frontlines for the war of good music in the streets of Austin, no doubt listening to more bands than your mind/ears can tolerate as I speak, be very sure to catch Bam Bam before they leave, because you're only going to get one solid chance. Bam Bam is playing only one show, tonight at the Flamingo Cantina at 8:00 PM. It'll definitely be a party, because they'll be playing along side La Mala Rodriguez of Spain, and Lucy and the Popsonics from Brazil (one of my other bands that I mentioned on Monday). This is a must-see performance, so by all means, don't miss this. Good luck, your voyagers! Don't lose your wristbands.



1 comment:

Joe Motor said...

BAM BAM I'm knockin', I want in, I want to join ! Great review,I'm gonna check this band out!
Thanks,jOE Motor

http://clubmotornews.blogspot.com/