Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Canaddiction



So I'll be frank, I listen to a lot of Canadian bands. In fact, I just love the country of Canada as a whole (even though I'm stuck down here in Texas). I have even considered attending Concordia or McGill University in Montreal sometime in the near future, and the possible prospect of following in the footsteps of Win Butler (see Arcade Fire) and immigrating.

The point is, despite my strange obsession with the county of the red Maple Leaf, they have endowed TONNES of great music. The entire Arts & Crafts label (as far as I know), except for Los Campesinos! (from the UK) is based out of Canada. Feist, Kevin Drew, Amy Millan, Emily Haines, Stars, Metric, Do Make Say Think, The Most Serene Republic... There is The Arcade Fire, and all their connections: Bell Orchestre, Final Fantasy (see Owen Pallet)... for those with more extensive tastes, there is also Godspeed You! Black Emperor and all their subsets: A Silver Mount Zion, Set Fire To Flames, Fly Pan Am... Let's not even begin to forget bands like Wolf Parade, Islands, The Unicorns, Holy Fuck, Tegan & Sara... the list goes on, and on, and on.

Well, I happened upon a little blog that is all about Canadian music! It's called Canaddiction, and provides the latest and greatest Canadian rarities, live performances, etc. from many of your favourite bands. I'm not going to lie, there are some awesome songs up for download there. If you're like your music quirky and beautiful like their respective country, go check out Canaddiction as quickly as you can!

On a completely unrelated, non-musical note Ibi Kaslik is one of the coolest modern authors around. She happens to also be from Canada, and has a book out right now called Skinny. I'm almost done with it, and it's quite amazing. If you happen upon it, I suggest picking it up (even if you don't think you'll be interested because of the subject material). And for you Broken Social Scene fans, if you were wondering, yes, Ibi Kaslik is who the song "Ibi Dreams Of Pavement (A Better Day)" was named after.

2 comments:

christina said...

omg thank you for this! it´s great to see someone with the same diagnosis :D

Chris said...

Excuse me, I would reply, but I'm too avidly listening to a Stars radio performance I got from your site, hahaha.