Friday, January 4, 2008

The Random Post?


First post of the new year?! Yay!

Anyway, I took a bit of a break from inundating myself with music. I thought it a healthy and prudent decision. But only for a moment. The first Band of the Week will be next week. There are five weeks in January, so I thought I'd skip a week.

In the meantime, I launch a fusillade of mini tidbits of music news, because I don't feel like writing anything substantial. Deal with it!



-J Versus K and Organic Groove played at The Aardvark in Fort Worth yesterday. It was intense! OG (formerly Macrolizard) was wondrous, what with Dustin and John bouncing back and forth off of guitar solos. And you always have to love George Waters and his crazy drum solos. J Versus K was intense; I finally got my hands on their new album, Who Wants To Fight A Million Bears? It's quite amazing - you should wander over to their Myspace and pick it up. As for their live performance, let's just say that if there were any chains in The Aardvark, J Versus K was off them.


-Word on the street (AKA: The Interblag) says that Cullen is covering a new song. INTRIGUE?!@#!!!


-Dear Juliet has a few songs exclusively on his Purevolume site. It's worth checking out!


-If you haven't given a listen to Julia, super-cool acoustic singer/songwriter, you better get started. I put special emphasis on doing this now, seeing as she will be having her first performance at The Door in Fort Worth, TX, on March 1st! Hustle.


-A band changes its name?! Unheard of! That seems to be the case with The Rinse, or rather (let's get used to this), Fall On Your Sword. But don't let the the new monkier change opinion, they're still breaking out the latest booty-shakin' tunes for your greedy little ears. Give them a listen, quickly!


-Is shameless self-promotion of a joke-like thing in order? Possibly. Not many people know, and I doubt many more care, about a little music I've made myself. Well, myself, and the good folks who invented Garage Band for the Mac. I have this little thing I once named When The Time Comes, and whenever I have the opportunity, I make some cheesy post-rock using only loop tracks given in Garage Band. Now, this is just personal opinion, but I think I did a damn good job, and I have a few interesting tunes. I enjoy them anyway. You can see the two songs I have up on the Myspace, or you can check out all the songs I've ever done at a handy dandy Virb site.
Might I recommend this song if you have a little time on your hands?


-The news is a bit old, but for those not already aware, after the release of their amazing latest record, Young Machetes, The Blood Brothers have broke up. Sad days, sad days, my friends. But never fear! There are plenty of little creatures that have spawned from the Blood Brothers, and there will be plenty to hear from the former alumni. Be sure to hit up Jaguar Love, Champagne Champagne, and my personal favorite, Neon Blonde.


-I'm sure just about any American has at least heard about the crazy antics of Britney Spears, not even mentioning her sister. To be honest, I don't follow tabloids at all, but I've still heard my fair share (which has been too much). That being said, this may not be new by any means, but I suggest that you go check out "Britney" by I'm From Barcelona. It's really fun/hilarious.







Finally, on a Voilà! related note, I want to remind every reader out there about the way we do things here. Basically, Voilà! is trying to gather as many folks out there who are willing to write about music. Any ol' person will do, and there are no requirements for being a writer (except for having a Blogger account). We want you to join the crew! The more the merrier!

If you've ever been interested in writing for a music blog, or can't think about anything but music, feel free to leave a comment or email me, and we can get you hooked up on the Voilà! writing squad. There's absolutely no commitment on how often you write, or how well you write (though fairly good grammar is appreciated!).

If you want to here a somewhat-official way that this site works, go over here.

If you'd rather just write, email me! But if you don't mind, those wanting to join might want to take a quick gander at the rules that I've mentioned. And I suppose if you're really curious, you could see who's already writing for Voilà!.



That was way longer than intended.
Good day everyone! Happy (late) New Years!

No comments: