Monday, January 28, 2008

Band of the Week: Casper & the Cookies


[January 28 - February 3rd]
Casper & the Cookies
Sounds Like: Indie-Pop
Drinking Buddies: Of Montreal, The Apples in Stereo, Oh No! Oh My!, Brown Recluse Sings
Synopsis: Arduously performed amiable indie-pop!
Makes You Want To...: Sing; Dance; Take a walk
[Myspace]




One week, one band. You know the drill.
This week, the featured artist is Casper & the Cookies


I (finally) finished The Amber Spyglass/His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman! It was very good, but had quite a few sad moments. I've moved onto You Don't Know Me by David Klass, very quirky and off-kilter. Since my music tends to match my mood and my predicaments, I need some more upbeat, quirky, and off-kilter tunes to fit the groove.

I need to turn no further than the interblag before I run into Casper & the Cookies. The indie music blogs have already had their run with Casper & the Cookies after their amazing song, "Kiss Me Beneath the Christmas Tree," which essentially completed ever single music lover's Christmas playlist (including mine).

Casper & the Cookies features ex-Of Montreal member Jason NeSmith, and with the help of the rest of the Cookies, this jovial jumble of musically eclectic entrepreneurs are playing a surreal, wild n' fun indie pop that only Georgia can seem to produce.

The Optimist's Club, C&tC's debut album, was released back in '06. Of course, they have a Myspace, which you should totally rush over to and say hello. And don't forget to check out their two (count 'em) two interviews on Daytrotter. In the meantime, I have a date with "Sid from Central Park" and a book, along with a cup of super-sweet ice tea. Have a nice week everyone.

1 comment:

BROWN RECLUSE SINGS said...

I don't drink myself, but I love those Cookies! Played with them at a house show in Allentown, PA a few years ago (with my prior band) and hung out with them at Athens Popfest 2006. Great stuff!

-Herbie (Brown Recluse Sings)