Thursday, September 10, 2009

Elliot Magazine



Busy busy busy. It's a busy time, folks. School has started for just about everyone now. I'm on my third week, and somewhere between essays, The Picture of Dorian Gray, mes leçons françaises, and a crazy textual analysis course, I try to find times to puruse the internet for the latest and greatest music news. Granted - and if you're a regular reader on Voilà!, I'm sure you've noticed - I don't have all the time in the world. And considering I've started an art project with some international friends, and am way more addicted to Lookbook.nu than I'd normally like to admit - not even beginning to mention that I'm something of a perfectionist, and only want to deliver the best of the best musical articles to you lovely readers - sometimes I just don't have time to write the most quality article with a very high frequency every week. For that, I certainly apologize.

So there wasn't an [Ex]Band of the Week article this time around (we'll call my excuse Labour Day and the presidential speech to Congress last night). But that can only mean two awesome articles for next week! That only brings reasons to get excited to mind. But - and that perfectionist bit is showing right now - I can't just let Voilà! sit completely empty for a week. I have to do something.

Voilà! loves all things independent, from music, to cinema, to literature. We've mentioned our old friends, the Vomitorium Collective Art Concern about one year ago; the indie art magazine still feature some of the greatest contemporary artistic minds you can find on our fine planet. But all this talk of art, culture, and independence is making me tingle with excitement. Because by complete chance, I've stumbled upon something that may just be right up Voilà! readers literary alley.

Elliot Magazine is touted as being a quirky cultural collective from a duo of designers, interested in the presentation of journalistic expression. That might be one bold, longwinded, tongue twister of a claim, but you'd be hard pressed to find some sort of way to contest it! This very sleek, well designed, unique, cultural webzine literally made its inaugural launch today. Filled with 63 pages full of interviews, articles, photographer features, some music articles, Elliot Magazine is due to be an up and coming star in the online cultural scenes. And since I try to tie everything on Voilà! back to music, I'll have you know that besides a couple of neat playlists at the end of the magazine, the debut issue of Elliot Magazine features a favourite from Elliot Magazine's own home town, Toronto: a concert review of Broken Social Scene.

See how your eyes widened and ears perked up, just dying to hear a clip from "Pacific Theme?" Oh yes, reader, I knew your interests would be peaked. For our old friends at Vomitorium, editor-in-chief Brice Baum has released six wonderfully eclectic magazine issues, and is busily working on the seventh issue, due sometime in the future (hopefully soon); you can check out all the news, as well as purchase your own copy of Vomitorium from their official site. As for our new friends at Elliot Magazine, you can wander directly to the free and independent online magazine as we speak, and check out all of the lovely literature they have to offer!

No comments: