Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Video: Irreplaceable (Beyonce) - Gregory and the Hawk


I freely admit, one of my absolutely, single handed, most favourite things about music in general are covers. Covers of any kind will do. My iTunes is LITTERED with them, but they are so wonderful. I love the blending of styles, the blending of genres, and the cooperation of artists, especially artists whose styles tend to be seemingly incompatible. Take The Klaxon's cover of "No Diggity..." didn't expect that to happen. Or how about Ted Leo's combo cover of Kelly Clarkson's "Since U Been Gone" and The Yeah Yeah Yeah's "Maps." The Decemberists are notorious cover artists, and lest we not forget Obadiah Parker, whom got a name for his cover "Hey Ya" by Outkast, amongst others (like Radiohead and Björk).


Honestly I can't get enough. It takes a certain talent to really nail a cover - to make listeners of the original as well as those who may not necessarily been fans of the original to come together and appreciate the same song in a new style. So when I find a new cover, my ears perk up very quickly. Beyonce's been covered here and there already, most prominently in my memory by Snow Patrol. But if we may, I'd like to direct your attention to something a bit calmer. Meet Meredith of Gregory and the Hawk, and witness her excellent folk-styled cover of "Irreplaceable." Perfection.




2 comments:

Ezra said...

yea i covered legionnaire's lament (decemberists), each coming night and such great heights (iron & wine, postal service/iron & wine version), and pink bullets (the shins) with my old band. it was fun.

Chris said...

Why hello there!