Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Some By Sea (RIP) Selling Merch One Last Time






Granted, when I try and find things to talk about on Voilà!, I try to look for some decent content. A new song, or my favorite band lately, or a sweet video, or *gasps* the ever rare and elusive full album review (I'll do some eventually, I promise. I'm busy with exams.) But frankly, I search for something that's more than "OMGZZZ, HERE THEZ SWEET TOONZ GUYZ! I HEART TORRENTS!"


But I will be honest with you. This particular article is all about promoting a single band's sales. That's it. Nothing more. It's really sad, I know, but I do love the band so much, so I couldn't stop myself.


Now, Some By Sea is one of the most lovely bands I've ever had the luck of hearing. Sadly, the original line-up is no longer with us, though an echo of the lovely band of merry music makers resides in Ghosts & Liars, who I covered a few months ago. With a truly beautiful indie [slash] orchestral rock feel that only a gang of 20-somethings from Washington could produce, Some By Sea wooed the hearts of many as they released a couple EPs, and their first full length album, On Fire - Igloo, which I sincerely recommend as a VERY good album, one of my most favorite. If I gave numbered reviews in my articles (which I insure I'll almost never do), I would give On Fire - Igloo a 9.5 with a beaming smile. It is a must hear.

Well, after the bittersweet breakup, the bands stock of albums and merch slowly dwindled down to nothing. But by popular demand, after about a year of just hanging out, the ol' Some By Sea online stores are being pumped back into action for one more go. They still have a few EPs lying around, as well as the old merch and their debut album. This is a real treat to get some wonderful music (and maybe a shirt or sticker or two) by a wonderful band who will sadly never create further music under the moniker, nor get near enough of the respect they've undubiously earned with their amazing creativity.






I promise I won't berate you in a tirade of angry insults if you don't go buy all the stuff in their collection. I will say that there is hardly any guarantee that their store will EVER be opened again, and if you want to say you picked up on a beautiful band before they completely vanish, now's your last chance. You can check out the romance story that is Some By Sea here, on their Myspace. Over here, you can wander over to their website and store, and buy up all their goodies for Christmas. And finally, you can follow one last link, and head over to the spin-off band, Ghosts & Liars, who in the spirit of Some By Sea, continue to make delightful music.

1 comment:

Kerry said...

glad i found this blog. was needing some new music to fall in love with.