Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Band of the Week: Minus the Bear




[October 15-21]
Minus the Bear
Sounds Like: Math rock / Indie / Progressive
Drinking Buddies: Bear vs. Shark, ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead, Pedro The Lion
Makes You Want To...: Rock out; Drink; Play guitar hero; Party




One week, one band. You know the drill.
This week, the featured artist is Minus the Bear.


New by no standards, Minus the Bear has earned their badges for putting out great music over the last six years. Using a modern, twisted version of progressive, usually fast paced indie rock, and an off-brand of math rock (rock music which is very centric to strange rythmic structure, Everything from their first EP in 2001, This Is What I Know About Being Gigantic, to their most acclaimed Menos el Oso, and finally coming to their latest full album, Planet Of Ice, just released in August 2007, their career has been littered with praise.

Minus the Bear is currently touring the hell out of Planet Of Ice with Helio Sequence and Tiny Vipers, and have recently had their latest video for their single "Knights" featured on MTV2 and (if I'm fully aware (I don't personally make a habit of watching MTV)) on MTV. I do know for a fact that they'll be coming through Dallas at The Palladium this coming Sunday, and I'll most likely be there! Be sure to check out Minus the Bear's Myspace, catch them on their Planet Of Ice 2007 tour when they're in a town near you, and definitely be sure to rock out to Dr. L'ling when you hear their stuff. You won't be let down.








Post script: I honestly think that Dr. L'ling would be a great inclusion to Guitar Hero III.

2 comments:

Julia said...

this band is old, and it makes me want to take road trips

Chris said...

I've been listening to them off and on for the last three years without paying much attention, but they really refined and mastered their sound with Planet Of Ice. I'm addicted now - I can't put them down.