Saturday, May 28, 2011

Peachcake is Back!!! (They were never gone, but I was!)




Hello, friends! It has been a while (seriously a while, probably at least half a year but probably longer) since I've posted...anything. I'm sorry. I'm a busy lady with lots of things going on, always. But listen, this is worthy of me digging my password out of my brain to get everyone in on this action.

Everybody knows that Voila! is collectively a huge Peachcake fan. We always have been, and we certainly always will be. If you didn't know...now you do, and don't forget it. From our first post about Peachcake way the hell back in 2008, we've been mesmerized.

So, time to get down to business. I'm pretty nervous about writing this post since I haven't written one in a while and I want to do justice to this EP.

Today upon logging onto my Facebook, I received a chat message from my friend Stefan Pruett. I'm name dropping because he is the man. He's Peachcake's singer, who, after meeting me many years ago (I'M FULL OF COMMAS AND I'M SORRY BUT I HAVEN'T TAKEN AN ENGLISH CLASS IN A YEAR,) he has been relentlessly kind and patient. I say patient because no matter how many times he sends me an update and I pass it on to Chris, he still is kind enough to send me information about his next project. Now that the timing is right and it is summer, I hear from him again and have the opportunity to listen immediately and get writing! Now I'm writing but also stalling, accidentally. The point of this paragraph: I wanted to set up the next paragraph, where I tell you about the wonderful music that Stefan sent to me.

For those who don't know, Peachcake is an electronic and vocal ensemble from Pheonix, Arizona. They've been around for a while, and at some point when I wasn't looking, they transitioned from a rough early-Fruity-Loops-and-keytar-esque (no offense, Stefan! I still loved and love it!) sound to a mature, polished group. While this sound is new to me in regards to Peachcake, it still retains the soul that I remember from way back in my freshman or sophomore year of high school when I saw them for my first time opening for Hellogoodbye.

Peachcake, however, no longer constitutes an opening act. I've been to a few of their shows (unfortunately I have not made it to all of the ones in my area T_T) and those who have as well know that they put on an act that would make Lady Gaga shake in her boots to follow. I mean, a seriously colorful, interactive show complete with a feeling that will never leave you.

The new sound of Peachcake is organized, polished and greatly matured in comparison to Peachcake circa-"Don't Act Like You Know More About Internet Cafe than Me". I've been listening to this free EP (sorry, you'll have to wait until the end to get it. Or just scroll down and click...but I suggest reading the post anyway.) for the past hour, wondering what I missed in the past few years that morphed Peachcake into this whole new genre, almost.

I'm having a hard time picking a favorite track from their new EP, This Wasn't Our Plan. I want to go one-by-one and talk about all of them, but I don't want anyone to have preconceived notions when listening to each track. Each of you will have a different experience listening to each track, and that's what's so beautiful about it music. So I will quit my rambling, and just say this: I don't know if the world is prepared for the change that Peachcake is planning to bring, but I know that Peachcake is prepared to change the world.

You won't regret it for a second!

No comments: