Friday, April 1, 2011

Video: Doolittle Addiction

I thought after that bit about Ms. Eliza Doolittle at the beginning of the week would end my binge of the fine lady's fantastic vocal work and summery hooks. Apparently that's not the case. On a spur, I hopped onto my iPhone's YouTube and looked her up so as to introduce her music to someone. One of the first videos in the results is not one of her hits, but instead, a cover. Which begged me to ask the question, "Are there more?"

For those who don't know much about my musical tastes - and I reckon that's a fair number of you - I am a sucker for a good cover. Copyright copyspite - I don't care what record labels say is legal or not, I love it when an artist can spin another's song into something new; if not something new, something unique and intriguing in its own right, whether by transition or in the form of homage. I have a huge collection of covers in my music library, and my ears are always perked for new ones. Especially good ones, and especially from artists I really enjoy and respect, such as Eliza Doolittle herself.

I enjoy Eliza's honesty. You so rarely get that from an artist, especially a pop artist with a big label. But she shines of it. Between her blog to keep things personal, her countless videos of her doing... well, nothing in particular, and her impretention (can I coin this word? That'd be awesome!) is a glowing example of how I like my musicians when on or off the stage. So to you all, who hopefully have also been riding high from Eliza's tunes earlier in the week, a collection of lovely covers I found. There are plenty more to be found, so if you're still hungry, search about the internet or YouTube. Look for some gems. Also, I'll have you all know that this is the only circumstance I have ever listened to a Justin Bieber song without groaning and or self-mutilating. Just sayin', don't automatically discredit it.




Fuck You (Cee-Lo Green) - Eliza Doolittle


Creep (Radiohead) - Eliza Doolittle


Yellow (Coldplay) - Eliza Doolittle


Baby (Justin Bieber) - Eliza Doolittle

No comments: