Sunday, March 8, 2009

Review: Mama, I'm Swollen - Cursive

I am a huge Cursive fan. I began listening to them when I was in seventh grade (mind you I am now a high school senior), with songs from a mixed CD that a good friend made for me. She later burned me copies of The Ugly Organ and Domestica, both of which I listened to incessantly. I was obsessed. I still list The Ugly Organ in my top five most influential CDs - ones that changed me, got me through hard times, and were just plain good.

When I was at the end of my eighth grade year, I saw Cursive (as well as my favorite poet, Saul Williams) on the Plea for Peace tour at Trees in Dallas. It was the most beautiful musical experience I had ever had. I nearly cried. And of course, I was in eighth grade and had not experienced much live music, so I may have just been overwhelmed by everything... but their performance struck a chord in my heart.

The newest addition to their repertoire, Mama, I'm Swollen, does not disappoint. "Let Me Up" has dynamic contrast comparable to that of "The Lament of Pretty Baby", with soft whispers and builds up to big bangs. My favorite song on the album is the CD's (I suppose) namesake, "Mama, I'm Swollen". The verse, "Born 'neath the blood red sun" is haunting and is always running through my mind.

I know the actual description of the CD is short; I'm listening to it. I'm distracted. I love it more than any words I can write. I am thrilled that Cursive still has it in them. Buy it, right now. It's really inexpensive online, and 100000% worth it. Yes, I know that there is no such percentage.

Thank you for reading! Dosvedanya, mio bombinos!

No comments: