Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Artist Feature: Akron/Family


Akron/Family
Best Described As:
Folk-influenced experimental rock
Similar To: Grizzly Bear, Animal Collective, Devendra Barnhart
Discography: Akron/Family (2005), Akron/Family and Angels of Light (2005), Meek Warrior (2006), Love is Simple (2007)
Label: Young Gun Records (2005-2007), Dead Oceans (present)


The means by which I came across this band could be described as a little unusual. I'd heard plenty of raving about the band on a message board that I frequent, but I hadn't been bothered to check them out. It was a few weeks ago that I finally got around to hearing them. It was the annual University of Montana Jazz I tour, and I was hanging out with the group's guitarist for some of the trip. He was talking about his experiences in music and explained that he grew up with the members of Akron/Family, played in his own band with them, and moved to Montana (for its fly fishing) very soon before the group formed and began writing. After hearing this testimony, I asked him if I could have some of their stuff from his computer. And then the wonder commences.

Akron/Family is unlike any single band you've heard. Honestly, I can only describe them as a group as they correspond to each album, since they're practically a new band with each album they cut. Their self-titled debut in 2005 was a relaxing, intricate collection of lo-fi folk music. Their split LP with Angels of Light later that year showed some of the sensitivity of their debut, but added a new layer of meat and potatoes rock and roll with a slightly more hi-fi sound. Their 2006 album Meek Warrior followed along the lines of the split LP, with added elements of free jazz and psychedelia; the album was also a collaboration with their longtime hero, percussionist Hamid Drake. Their 2007 LP Love is Simple took it down one notch from Warrior in the abstract, instead going for a more accessible, catchy feel. This year their album Set 'Em Wild, Set 'Em Free is due out in May.

If I knew exactly what to say about these guys that would get everyone to give them a listen, I'd say it. But I really don't know what to say about them besides that this may be one of my favorite currently active groups. Here's a few videos of two tracks from their split with Angels of Light. Hope you guys all enjoy.




No comments: