Wednesday, September 24, 2008

"Ottoman" - Vampire Weekend


First I'll speak frankly: as much as I love movies (and I do love them), I am no movie buff. I see tons of movies a lot of people don't end up seeing (i.e. The Boys and Girls Guide To Getting Down... seriously people), and I tend to have an eye for the best new movies to make it to theatres (i.e. Cloverfield). But I can't claim obsession; that special level of interest is solely reserved for music.

But if you know me in real life, you would find it hard pressed to shut me up about Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist. I have a hunch it's the next "well, it's a kinda-independently-filmed-but-commercially-marketed movie" like Juno or - again - Cloverfield. As if the book wasn't neat on its own, the movie has evolved into an intriguing embracement of music culture, particularly drawing from the indie music subculture.

Sure, the trailer features "Sonido Total" by The Pinker Tones, and we all saw the Funeral album cover on Nick's wall. But whether this movie is a cheap ploy on music lovers everywhere, or an honest effort to capture modern independent music culture on film, one things for certain: these folks know their music. The album is filled with songs from excellent artists: We Are Scientists, Takka Takka, Army Navy, Shout Out Louds, and of course, Vampire Weekend.

On that note, Vampire Weekend's latest song has just been premiered. If you read You Ain't No Picasso, you'll definitely have caught their cover of Fleetwood Mack's "Everywhere," and of course the funky afro-pop song, brand new and hot off the presses song, "Little Giant." But now another fresh tune, "Ottoman," was just debuted on Stereogum! I could blabber on more, but don't let me keep you! Rush on over right now, and check out Vampire Weekend's latest song!

3 comments:

Ezra said...

how dare you preface cloverfield with "best movies". bleh.

Chris said...

Hey, hey, hey! I did say "best new movies," to be true. :P

Ezra said...

to suggest that cloverfield can even remotely compare to the best movies of the past year (i.e. dark knight), would be an injustice so extreme that small children would die of ruptured ear drums just from the mere uttering. i say no more.